1) Forest training institute, Gungargatti – Dharwad was established during 1996 to provide in-service training to officers of Karnataka Forest Department and induction training to newly recruited staff .
2) The need for establishing this Institute was felt due to changing role of forest officers in a changed scenario where new concepts like social forestry and people participation were making ways in traditional forestry practices as envisaged in the 1988 National Forest Policy.
3) The Institute addresses the needs of the frontline staff to enable them to effectively communicate with the public and carry out extension activities as envisaged in new new forest policies, strategies and projects along with those of the traditional forestry.
4) The construction of the Institute started in 1992 under world bank aided social forestry project.
5) later the construction was completed in 1996 under Western Ghat project.
6) The training activities were started in the same year.
7) Institute is located at a distance of 12 km from district head quarters Dharawad on the way to Belgaum, and is just 2 km away from Bangalore – Pune highway (NH-4).
8) It is located at an altitude of 720m. above mean sea level and 15.30 N latitude and 74.30 E longitude
9) The location of the Institute enjoys clean air, refresh surroundings.
The Training Wing Database website link http://www.kfdtraining.in